Ubiquisys ActiveSON™ Solutions
Why do operators need ActiveSON™ solutions?
The surge in data demand, and the fact that patterns of usage are far from evenly distributed across the network, have led to the widespread consideration of small cells to provide an approach in delivering adequate capacity focused in the right locality. One of the challenges that this throws up is the ability for these small cells to be deployed without increasing the costs if each of a much larger number of cell sites needs to be configured and optimised by hand. This is where self-organised networks (SON) come in. If the network can be intelligent enough to configure, optimise and adapt itself to changes automatically, the opex burden is alleviated.
Ubiquisys ActiveSON™ solutions provide the mechanisms to do this. 3GPP has defined a series of SON principles, as shown below, and Ubiquisys has a fully capable SON solution (ActiveSON™ Grid) to deliver on all the principles.
Ubiquisys ActiveSON™ Grid solutions deliver the following benefits:
- Identification and inter-unit collaboration of direct and indirect neighbours, both within the enterprise and in the external macro network.
- Automatic selection of scrambling codes and carrier frequencies, according to local conditions and operator policies.
- Automatic power-level setting across the grid in its deployed environment.
- Congestion relief load balancing between cells in the grid.
- Efficient inter-cell handover between cells in the grid.
- Flexible grouping of cells to form zones with varying behaviour within an enterprise.
As an example, the Ubiquisys ActiveSON™ Grid for Enterprise is shown in outline below: